Preparation: 40 minutes | Cooking: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
This vibrant recipe has fresh and rich Italian flavour that is sure to please kids and adults alike. Whether you serve this recipe to break up your usual weekly routine or to feed friends on the weekend, the colourful presentation and delicious flavours can’t do you wrong.
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup beef stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp Tuscan seasoning or dried basil
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, pitted & roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 large capsicums (we recommend a variety of green, yellow and red for interesting presentation)
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- Salad and tomato relish to serve
- Place beef mince in a bowl and mix in a little oil. Heat a large frypan until hot. Crumble in half of the mince. and brown it, breaking up any lumps with a fork. Remove first batch, reheat pan and cook remaining mince and then remove.
- Add oil to fry pan, add onion and garlic, cook until onion is soft. Return mince to frypan and add stock, tomatoes, Tuscan seasoning or basil, olives and parsley. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until thick.
- Preheat oven to 200’C. Cut capsicums in half, and remove seeds and membranes as thoroughly as possible. Brush capsicums lightly with a little oil and fill each with mince mixture.
- Place capsicums side-by-side in baking dish, cook uncovered for about 20 minutes or until capsicum skin begins to wrinkle and the filling is hot. Sprinkle with combined cheese and breadcrumbs, cook a further 10 minutes. Serve with salad and relish.